June 28, 2004

Assemblage/Altered Artist = "Green Artist"


Today, I discovered by accident that I am a "green" artist. Actually, about 75% green. I recycle - give things away instead of adding to landfills, use energy efficient items, etc., but I never really thought of my art in terms of being "green." I really like the idea of not wasting natural resources, recycling, and finding more energy efficient ways of doing things. I even enjoyed watching "Living With Ed."

Have you gone "green" without realizing it? You might be "green" if you:

* Visit rummage/garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores, second-hand stores, etc. and scour for items you can use in your artwork. I have found my best pieces to alter at a thrift store. I find games (I use the pieces for projects and the board as a canvas or focal point for artwork), paints, text books, magazines, ribbon, tins, old jewelry, etc. all for bargain prices.

* Use empty food boxes to cut ATC backs or for chipboard canvas. Cereal boxes make excellent canvases for artwork and smaller boxes, like macaroni & cheese boxes, are great for making sturdy ATC backs that hold up well to heavier embellishments. I use sturdy gift boxes as shadow boxes - 1 box = 2 shadow boxes, the top and bottom.

* Join "ephemera" or "craft goodies" swaps where you trade bags or envelopes full of supplies. This is a great way to gather many different types of items without having to purchase them. Swap-bot (http://www.swap-bot.com) usually has several craft goodies swaps every month.

* Use what you find in nature. I have gathered rocks, seashells, beach glass, leaves, flowers and twigs to use in my artwork. Dry the flowers or press between sheets of waxed paper, and spray leaves and twigs with clear varnish and you're good to go.

Go green!