September 06, 2006

Altered Photo Frames


While at the craft store I ran across some unfinished wooden photo frames for $1 each at Michael's Craft Store. I thought they might be nice to alter since there is two inches of space around the frame. They measure 6 inches by 8 inches, hold a 4x6 inch photo, can stand on either the long or short side, or be
wall mounted.










These were very simple to make. I gave them a coat of acrylic paint (and crackled one), varnished them, then attached embellishments with E6000 glue. I love using silk or Prima Flowers, real seashells, Scrabble tiles, charms, and rhinestones in my creations.

I've been thinking of making a few as Christmas gifts. It would be very easy to personalize them for that special person or event. Some ideas I've thought of:

Football theme for my husband - I have a great picture of my hubby that I took while we were at a Detroit Lion's football game. You can see the field in the background. I may do a football themed frame for his picture.

Ballet theme for my granddaughter - My granddaughter takes ballet lessons and I have a studio picture that was taken of her in costume. A ballet themed frame would set the picture off nicely.

Animal theme for my dog's photo - I have a beautiful picture of my miniature schnauzer that I would love to put in a doggy themed frame.

Retro theme for my mom - I found an old photo of my mom taken in 1956. It would be fun to embellish a frame with things that brought back memories of her past.

Other great themes could be holidays (Easter, Christmas, etc.), a birthday, a birth, a wedding, or a a favorite hobby. You can really let your imagination run wild with themes for these frames. Happy crafting!