September 01, 2006

Michelangleo painted while lying on his back


...and I may be forced to do the same very soon.

It's been quite a while since I've been able to blog - or type, or do much of anything that requires using my hands or upper limbs. After my last blog entry I began having having some health issues with pain, numbness and weakness in my neck, hands and arms.
Relief comes from lying down, unfortunately, it is difficult to create artwork while on your back, unless, of course, you're Michelangelo and are painting the Sistine Chapel. I don't think this method would work while trying to create a collage, mixed media, or altered art piece, but, if forced in the future, I'll give it a try. The good news is that I've learned some ways to relieve the pain and numbness and am back to creating artwork, and blogging/typing!

I've always wanted to try my hand at creating pendants using domino game pieces. A friend found a couple of boxes of new, black wooden dominoes at a thrift store for .50 a box! I had a few ivory dominoes and some bamboo tiles with pre-drilled holes. Instead of drilling the wooden dominoes I decided to use a small bead as a bail, so I could string the pendant. The beads were attached to the dominoes with E6000 industrial strength glue. Since the bamboo tiles were pre-drilled, I simple threaded a length of cord through, and secured them with a bead before tying a small knot.

For the photos on the pendants, I measured the dominoes and bamboo tiles then printed a sheet of various scaled down graphics from my collection. These were attached on the plain side of the domino with craft glue, and once dry, were given a coat of varnish for protection. Glitter, charms and seashells were added last, attached with E6000. Finally, I cut lengths of cord found in the "jewelry findings" department of Michael's Craft Store.